Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

sunny dallas

Despite the grounding of hundreds of flights by Dallas based American Airlines, travel to this city for the Pillsbury Bake-Off went smoothly. My Continental flight was overbooked, probably as a result of American trying to get their many stranded passengers to their destinations. Continental offered a $400 voucher and a later flight via Atlanta to encourage four passengers to give up their seats - an offer that was quickly snapped up. Pillsbury met its Bake-Off guests at the airport and we were taken to the Dallas Fairmont, a top city hotel that is headquarters for this weekend's events. Finalist Kathy Sepich and her daughter Cassie, both from Portland, Oregon, sat opposite me on the bus. Kathy's Chicken Alfredo Gorgonzola Walnut Pizza made her a finalist - her second try for the $1 million top prize. In 2006, she competed with a blueberry muffin of her own invention. Cassie told me that her mom was always inventive in the kitchen and her friends always wanted to come to her house for a meal. Kathy said she grew up way out in the country so had to make do with what was on hand and was never afraid to experiment. "I don't remember not cooking," she said. The taste combinations in her pizza sound delicious and would, I'm sure, be appreciated at my house. Her recipe, on P 75 of the 43rd Bake-Off Cookbook makes me hungry just thinking about it. All I've had since my 6 a.m. breakfast was a tiny bag of inflight pretzels, so I'm off to see what the Dallas Fairmont and its West End neighborhod has for lunch. This will be just about my only free time in the next few days, so I'm going exploring.

5 Comments:

Blogger linda said...

Janet!

I so envy that you are already in Dallas! We (husband Danny and I) are leaving tomorrow morning on a 6:40am flight. We are on United, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I can't wait to get there. At this point, nothing really seems real - I think actually being in Dallas might do it!

Enjoy your free time and I can't wait to talk to you!

Take care,
Linda
(Caramel Latte Crunch Cups!)

April 12, 2008 at 3:50 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you getting to go to the bake-off. There are always such tasty sounding foods that come out of it each year.

I'll be checking back to see what wonderful things you have to tell as the bake-off progresses.

Peace,
Ann Morris
Plant City, FL

April 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Janet!

Glad you arrived in Dallas with no problems. Looking forward to reading about all the events at the yummy Bake-off!

Enjoy !

Karen S.

April 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM 
Blogger Sascha said...

Can't wait to hear about the pillsbury bake off! It's nice to see someone local in the competition. We will keep our fingers crossed for her!

April 12, 2008 at 5:45 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Janet:

Sounds like a lot of wonderful recipes are in the making. The aromas must be tempting.

See you back in class soon.

Kathie H. Frisby

April 14, 2008 at 4:03 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home