Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tennessee Travelogue #1

Janet Podolak has been kind enough to let guest writer Jason Lea borrow her blog for the next few days to write about his trip in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The first thing I do when I'm south of the Mason-Dixon Line is get a glass of sweet tea. During the next five days, I expect to drink my weight in it.

This is my first night in Chattanooga, and I'm staying at a hotel that used to be the city's railway station.

As you probably guessed, it's named the Chattanooga Choo Choo.

My room used to be a railway car. It's a cool shtick that kids, especially boys, would love. A lot of the visitors here are families with younger children.

The hotel has 48 railway car rooms. They can cost as much as $170 per night, but that changes depending upon season.



Tonight, I ate at the station house, which offers a full complement of tasty steaks and chicken dinners; but the real attraction is the singing waiters and waitresses. The service staff take turns belting out fantastic renditions of "Midnight Train to Georgia," "Get Down Tonight," "California Dreaming," and, yes, "The Chattanooga Choo Choo."



They do take suggestions, but my waitress declined my request for something from Naughty by Nature's catalogue.

-Jason Lea, JLea@News-Herald.com



P.S. You see this? This is The Station House's apple dumpling. It is just cause to visit Chattanooga.



P.P.S. Theme hotels give the best swag.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

this is very greatful and informatic helpful Can I quote a post in your blog with the link to you? i want to book mark it.

Thanks
aleix
http://www.indiatravelstours.com/
india tour tavel,rajasthan tour in india, kings lodge resort bangvargarth

June 17, 2010 at 5:37 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home