Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Living to see 65

"Two-thirds of the people who have ever lived to 65 are living today."
I saw this quote over my head at an airport, I don't remember which, but it was in Canada. Seeing it, I stopped and backed up so I could take out my notebook and write it down.

It wasn't attributed but I was on a moving walkway in an airport so backing up to write it down was no small feat. It's hard to believe it's really true, and as a journalist I'd like to try and authenticate it.

I'm among those living today who have reached that milestone and it's really something to think about. In September, when I was in the Loire Valley of France, I observed my 40th anniversary here at The News-Herald. My colleagues there arranged for a candle to be added to the cheese plate I'd ordered for dessert. It was a sweet thought, even if I was old enough to be a grandmother to several of them. A sweet young woman from Beijing, another travel journalist on the trip, took my arm every time we crossed the street. I'm sure it was a reflection of the way she'd been reared to respect and care for her elders.

I can't even begin to tell you how many ways the business and practice of journalism has changed since September, 1971 when I took my first job here. I won't say it's all good, because it's been traumatic at times. But I'm still excited to come to work most days, and think I must have one of the most interesting jobs in the entire world.

As I approach another milestone birthday I find myself reading the obituaries more often than ever. It's especially chilling to note all those who have passed away who are younger than I am now.

But my old friend Arline Kneen just celebrated her 95th birthday. I was with her in Australia when she turned 73, and she's still working and traveling.

Tell me, please, how you approach the prospect and the reality of aging. It IS just a number, isn't it?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous AMB said...

It's good you appreciate the job & life you have. So many people don'know how good they have it or what a wonderful life they have until it's over.

November 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home