Blogs > News-Herald Food and Travel

Food and travel captivate Janet Podolak, who chronicles both for The News-Herald. Get the back story of her three decades of stories here. Guest bloggers and fellow News-Herald staffers also periodically share details of their trips.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A marriage proposal witnessed by all



 I just returned from Baltimore where cherry blossoms are beginning to bloom just as they likely are in Washington, D.C.

It was a weekend spent to celebrate my birthday and that of my grandson, Trent, a fellow Pisces who just turned 18.

One of the things on our weekend itinerary  was the 13th Annual WATCH awards, an annual program to honor community theater productions in the Baltimore/Washington area.

"Fiddler on the Roof," a production in which my grandson had a role, was one of the nominated plays. My daughter's boyfriend, Fred Nelson, not only served as Master of Ceremonies, but he also was a nominee  for Outstanding Performance as Lead Actor in a Musical for his role as Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof. He's also performed every summer for more than a dozen years as King Henry VIII in the Maryland Renaissance Festival, so he's well known in this area.

The Birchmere in Alexandria, Va. sold out all 500 of its seats two weeks ago - a sure testimony to the popularity of this event.  Folks dressed to the nines - as spectacularly as one might imagine among theater folk.

Fred did an admirable job as MC, a task that essentially required him to make  interesting a three-hour long  list of names. He introduced several stellar musical acts and those making the awards in each category. I didn't know anyone, so it wasn't very compelling for me until Fred's  name was announced as the winner in Lead Actor Musical - one of the top awards.

His acceptance speech took us all by surprise when he thanked my daughter for her support and proposed marriage.

How many mothers get to witness a daughter's marriage proposal? And how many sons get to see  their mother proposed to?

 That Fred Nelson certainly has a fine sense of drama and will surely make an interesting son-in-law.. Someone, of course,  made a video of the highlights and posted it on You Tube, which I'm sharing with you.. I'm really glad, since I forgot my camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home